Technical Publications Specialist – 12 Month Term
May 10, 2021
PURPOSE and SCOPE:
The Technical Publications Specialist is responsible for creating, maintaining, and publishing technical content for MacDon customers, dealers, partners, and staff.
- Create, maintain, and publish documentation that helps dealers and operators to successfully use MacDon products to achieve their goals.
- Research and write clear and detailed contextual information, reference information, and procedures using materials provided by subject matter experts.
- Interview subject matter experts to acquire information not available in written source materials.
- Take and edit digital photographs to include in documentation.
- Manipulate existing 3D CAD models, photographs, and other 2D images to create illustrations to include in documentation.
- Strong oral communication skills
- Moderate level of writing skill in English (and willingness to work on improving skill level)
- Computer literacy
- Eagerness to learn
- Willingness to ask work-related questions until a solid understanding is achieved
- Ability to get along with other people
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to think critically and set priorities appropriately
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Technical writing experience, ideally printed instructions of some sort and/or help systems
- Familiarity with technical communications industry standard terminology and best practices (e.g., audience, plain language, active voice, single-sourcing, and style guides)
- Research and interview skills
- Technical illustration experience and Photography experience
- Experience with usability/user experience testing
- Manufacturing and Agricultural experience. Familiarity with MacDon products an asset
- Mechanical aptitude and/or experience with mechanical systems
- Experience with hydraulic and/or electrical systems
- Ability to read and write in additional languages
- Software experience:
- Authoring software (pref. Arbortext Editor or other tool that supports structured authoring)
- Content management system (pref. Simonsoft)
- Illustration software (pref. PhotoShop, Illustrator, IsoDraw Illustrator and/or Creo Illustrate)
- CAD systems (pref. SolidEdge)