Oct 14, 2021
PURPOSE and SCOPE:
Overall development and application of materials & process engineering program including the selection, control & application of materials & processes, specification, development and qualification of materials & processes and performance of failure analysis and implementation of corrective actions as needed.
- Support the new product development and launch through:
- Working collaboratively with Design Engineering to support the selection, specification, qualification, and application control of materials.
- Working collaboratively with Production Engineering to support the specification, development, optimization, and qualification of processes.
- Review, and update as needed, specification of materials used in current products.
- Work with Manufacturing Engineering to review, and update as necessary, process specifications for processes used in the manufacture of current products.
- Develop, document, and maintain material inspection/test procedures in support of the qualification of new material and/or new supplier of existing material.
- Perform Failure analysis and investigation of material, components, and processes.
- Provide materials and processes expert support to the material review board and supplier quality reviews.
- Review the current capabilities of the Metallurgical lab; identify and acquire new/additional equipment/instruments to enhance the inspection/testing/failure analysis capabilities.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or material science.
- Hands-on experience in material specification, evaluation, and qualification.
- Applied knowledge of material properties of common materials such as steel, iron, Aluminum, and alloys, including microstructure, fracture mechanics, fatigue, creep, etc.
- Thorough knowledge of welding, heat treatment, different types of casting processes such as sand casting, investment steel casting and others.
- Experience in mechanical & chemical testing, NDT and metallography.
- Strong technical report writing skills.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work closely and effectively with other departments.
- Ability to read and understand mechanical drawings and specifications on a wide variety of materials and parts. Understanding of GD&T is an asset.
- Must demonstrate initiative and require minimal supervision.
- Good computer skills and applied knowledge of MS Office.
- Demonstrates good interpersonal skills, is attentive and approachable.
- Maintains a professional and productive relationship with area management and co-workers.