Director of Manufacturing
Feb 20, 2019
PURPOSE and SCOPE
As a key member of the Senior Management team and under the general direction of the Vice President of Operations, this position is responsible for providing leadership, operational expertise and strategic direction of the MacDon Manufacturing facilities. The Director of Manufacturing is required to deliver operational excellence in accordance with corporate strategy and business objectives.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manages the operations of the MacDon Manufacturing facility including components, multiple assembly lines, outbound shipping to customers and Facilities Management (including building, grounds, industrial equipment, maintenance and security).
- Leads department managers to accomplish goals of the manufacturing plan, consistent with established manufacturing, quality and safety procedures.
- Ensures compliance with company policies, procedures and applicable legislation. Identifies, recommends and implements changes to improve productivity and reduce cost and scrap, monitor scrap and rework data.
- Directs the establishment, implementation and maintenance of production standards.
- Develops short and long term business needs assessment regarding capital requirements, staffing and supervision.
- Ensures compliance to collective bargaining agreement standards and participates in negotiations.
- Implements lean principals as they apply to manufacturing operations.
- Designs, develops and implements environmental and health and safety procedures, programs, processes, and systems to ensure compliance with regulatory and company requirements. Chairs Joint Health and Safety Committee.
- Develops monitors and continuously evolves Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) as established for each operational unit. Establishes performance objectives for all direct reports and manages their performance to these objectives.
- Develops and cultivates strong working relationships with all internal and external stakeholders
- Develops and executes budgets for manufacturing including manpower planning, department expenses and capital expenditures.
- Directs and coordinates various programs essential to manufacturing procedures. Initiates and coordinates major projects (e.g., plant layout changes, installation of capital equipment, major repairs, etc.)
- Strong negotiations, presentation and communication (both verbal and written) skills to effectively lead, motivate, mentor and develop team.
- A minimum of ten years of experience in a manufacturing environment that includes supervisory, quality and manufacturing engineering experience.
- Post-Secondary education in a Science or Business related discipline such as Engineering or other relevant technical post-secondary education.
- Formal Leadership and Continuous Improvement/Lean Training.
- Experience with budgeting and financial reports. Able to work with word and Excel to create reports as required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Health and Safety and Environmental legislation.
- Experience working with a Collective Agreement would be an asset.
- Knowledge of Agricultural equipment would be an asset.