Jun 08, 2018
PURPOSE and SCOPE
A Forklift Operator at MacDon Industries is responsible for operating a forklift in a safe, efficient manner to transport product in and out of work areas. They are also responsible for keeping work areas stocked with necessary equipment such as bins or cages and assist with set ups that require forklift.
- Operating a forklift in a safe, efficient manner to transport product in and out of work areas
- Assist with set ups that require forklift.
- Generally works closely with all shop personnel to remove full and empty bins, cages, and skids.
- To work safely and point out anything that may be unusual or unsafe to supervision.
- Proficient in DSI gun, which locates parts and jigs and machines in yard for loads.
- Maintain a clean work area and inform area supervision of any unsafe conditions.
- Fill out daily forklift maintenance checklists.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Secondary school (high school diploma or equivalent).
- Experience working in a manufacturing setting an asset.
- Previous experience in the operation of a gas-powered forklift, preferably in the steel industry.
- Organizational and time management skills.
- Clear communication (understanding written and verbal cues).
- Successful completion of all MacDon pre-screening assessments.
- Completion of MacDon’s Forklift Operator training course. Valid MacDon Forklift Operator license.
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license.
- Know and understand the WHMIS labeling system.
- Demonstrated ability to perform the following physical requirements:
- Physically able to lift up to 47 pounds. Refer to the MacDon Safety Manual.
- Physically able to twist and bend frequently.
- Physically able to walk, stand or sit for 8 hours.
- Maintain a good attendance record and comply with company rules and regulations.
- Able to do shift work (rotating shifts).
WORKING CONDITIONS (may have exposure to)
- Extreme temperatures (heat/cold).
- High noise levels.
- Fumes, vapors, and gases.